"I’ve really tried to understand the Israelis. I used to work on a farm in Israel. I speak Hebrew. I watch their news. All the time they talk about fear. How they have to run to their bunkers to hide from the rockets. How their children can’t sleep because of the sirens. This is not a good way for them to live.
We Palestinians don’t talk about fear, we talk about death. Our rockets scare them; their rockets kill us. We have no bomb shelters, we have no sirens, we have nowhere we can take our children and keep them safe. They are scared. We are dying.” — Mohammed al-Khoudry, a Palestinian farmer, said in 2012.
According to Gaza’s Ministry of Health, 98 Palestinians have been killed so far and over 600 injured in Israel’s assault on the besieged coastal enclave. In the deadliest single attack since the offensive began, at least seven Palestinian civilians, including five children, were killed when Israeli warplanes bombed several homes in a densely populated area where the victims were sleeping. Bodies were pulled from the rubble of at least three homes and neighbouring buildings. (x)
A Palestinian journalist was killed in central Gaza after his car was bombed. Video footage shows it had been marked as a media vehicle. The Israeli military says it has dropped 800 tonnes of bombs on 750 targets throughout Gaza, more than during its eight-day assault in late 2012. Hospitals in Gaza have been overwhelmed with victims and are running low on basic supplies. Egypt has opened up the Rafah border crossing to evacuate some of the wounded. (x)
All the pictures above were taken on July 10, 2014. Pictures on the left are from Israel and pictures on the right are from the Gaza Strip.
See the captions below:
1. Commuters wait for a bus in central Tel Aviv. (Finbarr O’Reilly/Reuters)
2. Palestinians standing behind the gate of Rafah crossing hold their passports as they try to cross into Egypt. (Ibraheem Abu Mustafa/Reuters)
1. Israelis take cover in an underground car park in Tel Aviv during a rocket attack by Palestinian militants from the nearby Gaza Strip. (Ahmad Gharabli/AFP/Getty Images)
2. Palestinian mourners carry the body of five-year-old boy Abdallah Abu Ghazal during his funeral in Beit Lahiya after he was killed in an Israeli air strike. (Mahmud Hams/AFP/Getty Images)
1. A woman takes a photo with her mobile phone of a car damaged when the remains of a rocket intercepted by Israel landed in a Tel Aviv neighbourhood. (Finbarr O’Reilly/Reuters)
2. Palestinians search in the rubble of a destroyed house where eight members of the Al Haj family were killed in a strike early morning in Khan Younis refugee camp. (AP)
1. Israeli soldiers ride on a tank to a position near Israel Gaza Border. (Ariel Schalit/AP)
2. Palestinian mourners chant slogans as they carry the bodies of eight members of the Al Haj family, who were killed in an Israeli missile strike early morning, during their funeral in Khan Younis refugee camp. (Khalil Hamra/AP)
1. Israelis take cover as siren sounds during rocket attack fired by Palestinians militants from Gaza in Tel Aviv. (Dan Balilty/AP)
2. Palestinian relatives of eight members of the Al Haj family, who were killed in a strike early morning, grieve in the family house during their funeral in Khan Younis refugee camp. (Khalil Hamra/AP)
Australian Cattle Dog/Blue Heeler Appreciation Post
yeah dude she’s cute, but is she quirky? is she random? does she know what “rawr” means in dinosaur?